Thank you for your engagement and feedback during the process of creating this Community Waste and Resource Plan.
The plan was formally endorsed at Council on Tuesday, 13 June.
The new FOGO service, which is a direct result of the Plan - created using thousands of community members' comments about their bin services - is set to make it easier than ever to reduce waste and stop material going to landfill, while also reducing harmful greenhouse gases
To find out more about the new services go to www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Council/Latest-...
In October 2023, Yarra Ranges will introduce the biggest changes to its waste collection system since recycling was introduced in the 1990’s.
Many of the changes outlined are required as part of council’s obligations under the state government’s Recycling Victoria policy.
Our proposed way forward for council and the community was outlined in the Draft Community Waste and Resource Recovery Plan. The Plan highlights Yarra Ranges Council's commitment to helping residents reduce their waste, recycle wherever possible and achieve waste reduction targets set for the community.
These changes are vital to conserve our natural resources, improve how we manage our waste, and reduce our impact on the environment.
Engagement was open from 14 September to 9 November 2022.
We are now considering the various suggestions and feedback, making relevant amendments to the plan and develop a final draft of the Community Waste and Resource Recovery Plan for consideration by Council in early 2023.
So that we can keep you informed about the progress of this plan and changes to waste services, please follow this page.
What are the main parts in the plan?
In 2021 thousands of residents, businesses and landowners let us know what was important to them in relation to potential waste service changes in the Community Waste Survey. The feedback, together with expert advice, has shaped this Draft Community Waste and Resource Recovery Plan.
The draft plan has also been prompted by the State Government’s Recycling Victoria (10 year policy and action plan) – where every household in the state will move from rubbish and recycling to a four-stream system: food and garden organics, mixed recycling, glass, and rubbish (sent to landfill or alternative processing).
View the Plan here
Our targets for action
1. Avoid and reduce
Council will encourage waste avoidance and reduction through education programs and supporting community programs for sharing, repurposing and repair of products and materials.
2. Recover and recycle
Council will encourage the recovery and recycling of materials through education programs and delivery of collection services focussed on maximising recovery of recyclables.
3. Engage and empower
Council will encourage and support community leadership of waste minimisation projects and involve a diverse range of participants in activities aimed to improve how we manage our waste.
4. Lead by example
Council will prioritise waste minimisation, procurement of recycled and recyclable goods, and the trial and use of recycled contents in its operations and delivery of projects and programs.
Check out the actions that will assist us to meet the targets
- Promote the avoidance of, and alternatives to, single use plastics within waste education programs
- Investigate ways to support reuse, repair, share with sectors in the community through activities such as repair cafes and tool/toy/ equipment libraries
- Provide advice and support for general community projects targeted at waste avoidance and minimisation
- Advocate for reuse shops to be established at all transfer stations across the municipality, to increase recovery of saleable second-hand goods
- Support Yarra Ranges Food Connections and other local food groups and networks to include food waste avoidance in programs and activities
6. Review and develop a plan for waste collection services to sporting clubs and community groups to ensure equitable provision of services
7. Investigate options for larger bin sizes for residentially-rated, multi-unit developments to reduce kerbside and bin storage challenges
8. Investigate options for kerbside glass collection to ensure selection of the most appropriate option for the service to achieve maximum recovery
9. Investigate appropriate options for park and street litter bins to meet requirements of collection reforms, with consideration of response measures to high levels of contamination in street litter recycling bins
10. Develop and deliver a Waste and Resource Recovery Education Plan for residents and businesses using council’s waste services
11. Deliver education programs in line with state-wide Recycling Victoria education campaigns
12. Develop a change management plan for implementation of future waste services, including delivery of educational materials
13. Investigate options for promotion and incentivising use of waste minimisation items such as reusable nappies and sanitary items
14. Initiate and deliver quarterly online reporting of waste data to the community – including recycling streams, waste sent to landfill
15. Review current recycling bin provisions to school and early years services. Develop a policy for provision of new collections to schools in line with education programs
16. Increase promotion of collections for hazardous and difficult to dispose items and increase participation of council-supported collections, based on 2022 levels.
17. Review litter and dumped rubbish enforcement procedures to ensure they align with regulatory expectations
18. Promote council’s Community Grants programs to attract and support waste minimisation projects in the community
19. Develop and implement a plan for measuring, monitoring, waste minimisation and reducing waste sent to landfill from all council facilities
20. Review and amend council event policies and procedures to reflect changes to waste collection services, and strengthen requirements for waste minimisation in council-led and supported events
21. Work with council departments, contractors and designers in the creation of infrastructure and facilities that are designed for resource efficiency and include use of recyclable and recycled materials
22. Strengthen waste minimisation principles and actions in council procurement policies to utilise more recycled and recyclable product and ensure suppliers prioritise waste avoidance practices
What is changing?
The need for change
Wondering why we are making changes to the future waste services?
Recycling our food and garden waste
Heard about FOGO (or food and garden organics) waste services and want to know more about what is happening in Yarra Ranges?
More about the changes to our waste collections
Do you have questions about the changes coming from October 2023?
Webinars & pop ups
- Wednesday 28th September at 7pm. Please register here.
- Monday 10th October at 11am. Please register here.
Upcoming Pop ups
The Waste Team will be present at the following events and sites to take your feedback
- Thursday 6th October – Lilydale Market Place 33-45 Hutchinson Street Lilydale 11.00am – 2.00pm
- Friday 14th October - Wandin Silvan Field Day, Wandin East Recreational Reserve, Old Baker Road Wandin East 8.30-5.00pm
- Tuesday 18th October – Monbulk Living and Learning Centre, 21 Main Road, Monbulk -9.00am-12.00pm
- Sunday 23rd October - Kilsyth Festival, Elizabeth Bridge Reserve, 39-47 Durham Road Kilsyth 11.00am-3.30pm
- Wednesday 26th October – Healesville Community
Pop up – rear of Memo Hall, 235 Maroondah Highway Healesville- 2.00pm-5.00pm
- Friday 4th November - Yarra Junction Community
Link, 2442-2444 Warburton Highway, Yarra Junction – 9.00am-1.00pm
- Tuesday 8th November – Lilydale Community Link, Civic Centre 15 Anderson Street, Lilydale- 9.00am-12.00pm
Timeline item 1 - complete
Timeline item 2 - complete
Survey results released to community
Timeline item 3 - complete
Draft Community Waste and Resource Recovery Plan available for feedback
14 September - 9 November 2022
Timeline item 4 - active
Feedback considered, relevant changes made
Timeline item 5 - incomplete
Final draft approved
If you have any questions or want to learn more about this Plan, contact us below:
|Phone||1300 368 333|
PO Box 105, Lilydale Vic 3140