Upper Yarra Local Development Project
The Victorian Government is providing support for the transition away from native forest harvesting. Though the Victorian Forestry Plan, Council has received funding for the Upper Yarra Valley communities, with focus on Warburton, Yarra Junction and Powelltown to support a Local Development Strategy.
The Local Development Strategy is designed to support workers, businesses, and the community with this transition. Through the project, over the next two years there are opportunities to discover and explore innovation opportunities that will bring economic and social benefits for a sustainable future.
The project uses the Smart Specialisation methodology. It is an approach that promotes innovation and economic transformation and sustainability by focussing on a region’s existing strengths and unique, local opportunities.
Representation from the community, business, education, and government ensures that all the sectors are included for transformative solutions to be identified.
A short video helps explain the methodology.
The project is broken down into four stages.
Timeline item 1 - complete
Stage 1A: Regional Context Analysis - Development
February to September 2023
- Desktop analysis and research
- Community consultations undertaken from
- Strengths, challenges and innovation opprtunitoes identifed
Timeline item 2 - active
Stage 1B: Regional Context Analysis - Draft for review
20 November to 17 December 2023
- Draft open for feedback from
- Expressions of interest open for EDP workshops
Timeline item 3 - incomplete
Stage 2: Entrepreneurial Discovery Process (EDP)
Commencing February 2024
- EDP workshops to review, refine and asses viability of identified innovation opportunities
Timeline item 4 - incomplete
Stage 3: Innovation Working Groups
- Innovation working groups test the innovation opportunities
- Seek technical/specialist advice as required
- Preparation and implementation of project scope
Timeline item 5 - incomplete
Stage 4: Local Development Strategy Complete
- Local Development Strategy finalised
- Ongoing governance established
- Potential project funding identified