Project Update - July 2023
Council has received written confirmation from the Commonwealth Government’s Minister for Infrastructure Hon Catherine King MP, of the funding cuts to the Roads for Community program, which will see $47.7 million honoured from the original $150 million commitment.
With this level of funding, Council can continue to progress works on all road projects that have commenced construction, and projects where the contract for works have been awarded.
On 13 June 2023, Council adopted a report that recommended Council discontinue the Special Charge Scheme, due to the unavailability of funding, and advise affected landowners of the discontinuance of the scheme.
Landowners are therefore advised that construction of the road/s will not proceed and they will not be levied a special charge.
We understand that some residents may be disappointed with this outcome. Council will continue to advocate strongly to the Federal Government for the reinstatement of the funding committed for the Roads for the Community Initiative.
To read more, visit our funding cuts FAQ's.
- Approximately 250m asphalt road varying between 3.5 and 5 metres wide following the existing road formation;
- Concrete rollover kerb and channel on high side of the road with associated underground longitudinal drainage as required; and
- Reinstatement of vehicle crossovers.
As part of the works, any existing property crossovers will be reinstated to the new road level using a similar material and as close to their current standard as possible.
In 2019 the Federal Government announced a nine year, $150 million funding plan for Yarra Ranges Council to seal roads within the Dandenong Ranges and surrounding areas. This funding program has been named the Roads for the Community Initiative.
Council has prioritised roads that will be constructed through this program to ensure funding is used in a way that will provide maximum benefit to the greatest number of residents and visitors to our area. For information explaining how priority was assigned, please see Roads for the Community FAQ's.
This project has been listed for construction under the Roads for the Community Initiative program and will be facilitated by means of a Special Charge Scheme, whereby landowners and Council form a partnership to fund construction.
Timeline item 1 - complete
- Questionnaire sent to all landowners affected to gauge your support for proposal.
- Special Charge Scheme road construction projects only proceed where both Council and a majority of landowners are supportive of the proposal.
Landowner survey complete.
Timeline item 2 - complete
- Council’s Project Engineer will coordinate feature survey and design
Timeline item 3 - complete
- Accessible online via Council’s website.
- Invitation letter sent to landowners
- The briefing will outline design and Special Charge Scheme Statutory process.
Watch the landowner briefing
Timeline item 5 - complete
- Declaration of Special Charge Scheme Notice sent to landowners
- Landowners may apply for Council’s Declaration of the Special Charge to be reviewed at VCAT
- If no appeals to VCAT the project will be tendered
- If an appeal is lodged at VCAT the project will be put on hold until a written decision has been made
Have questions or want to learn more about a project, contact us below:
|Name||Roads for the Community Initiative Team|
|Phone||1300 368 333|