Project Update - April 2023
Council has received written confirmation from the Commonwealth Government’s Minister for Infrastructure Hon Catherine King MP, of the funding cuts to the Roads for Community program, which will see $47.7 million honoured from the original $150 million commitment.
With this level of funding, Council can continue to progress works on all road projects that have commenced construction, and projects where the contract for works have been awarded.
Council has reviewed the available funding and investigated other funding sources for this project to proceed in the future. On 11 April 2023 Council adopted a report that recommended the project proceed to construction and that payment dates for the Special Charge Scheme be modified.
To read more, visit our funding cuts FAQ's.
- Approximately 315m asphalt road pavement varying between 3.5 - 5 metres trafficable width.
- Concrete rollover kerb and channel on one side of the road (high).
- Reinstatement of vehicle crossovers.
In 2019 the Federal Government announced a nine year, $150 million funding plan for Yarra Ranges Council to seal roads within the Dandenong Ranges and surrounding areas. This funding program has been named the Roads for the Community Initiative.
Council has prioritised roads that will be constructed through this program to ensure funding is used in a way that will provide maximum benefit to the greatest number of residents and visitors to our area. For information explaining how priority was assigned, please see Roads for the Community FAQ's.
This project has been listed for construction under the Roads for the Community Initiative program and will be facilitated by means of a Special Charge Scheme, whereby landowners and Council form a partnership to fund construction.
Timeline item 1 - complete
- Questionnaire sent to all landowners affected to gauge your support for proposal.
- Special Charge Scheme road construction projects only proceed where both Council and a majority of landowners are supportive of the proposal.
Landowner survey complete - August 2021
Timeline item 2 - complete
- Council’s Project Engineer will coordinate feature survey and design
Timeline item 3 - complete
- Accessible online via Council’s website.
- Invitation letter sent to landowners
- The briefing will outline design and Special Charge Scheme Statutory process.
Watch the landowner briefing
Timeline item 4 - complete
Intent to levy
- Report to Council 12 July 2022 View agenda & minutes
- Intent to Levy Notice sent to landowners
- Landowners may submit formal submissions
- Review of submissions
- Report to Council with submissions 27 September 2022 View agenda & minutes
Timeline item 5 - active
- Declaration of Special Charge Scheme Notice sent to landowners
- Landowners may apply for Council’s Declaration of the Special Charge to be reviewed at VCAT
- If no appeals to VCAT the project will be tendered
- If an appeal is lodged at VCAT the project will be put on hold until a written decision has been made
Timeline item 6 - incomplete
- Contractor engaged via tender
- Notification of works commencement letter sent to landowners
- Works complete
- Final costs of project reported to Council
- Letter sent to landowners to notify final cost
Have questions or want to learn more about a project, contact us below:
|Name||Roads for the Community Initiative Team|
|Phone||1300 368 333|